Established in 1774, the Friendship Fire Company built its historic firehouse in 1855. Friendship survived the Civil War but some other fire companies disbanded because their equipment was destroyed or heavily damaged by Union forces, which had their own firehouse on Princess Street. After the war, the Friendship Firehouse was extensively remodeled, with a cupola replacing its original steeple in 1871. Today, the Friendship Firehouse Museum interprets Alexandria’s firefighting history.
Check out what other travelers say about Alexandria tourism on TripAdvisor.