Built in 1851 as the Bank of the Old Dominion, Robert E. Lee did his banking here. When Union forces occupied Alexandria during the Civil War, they took over the building and used it as a commissary and hospital. Legend has it that when as Union troops marched into Alexandria, bank officials spirited away all the cash in the vault, returning it to account holders after the war. Today it is an art gallery and home of the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association. Open Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays noon-4 p.m. and Saturdays 1- 4 p.m. Closed major holidays.