• 201 Prince Street
  • Alexandria, VA 22314
  • PHONE:
  • (703) 548-0035
  • Details
    A Greek Revival building built in 1851, it was home to the Bank of the Old Dominion, where Robert E. Lee did his banking. During the Civil War occupation of Alexandria, Federal troops commandeered the building, which they used as Commissary Headquarters for the Union Army. After the Battle of Bull Run/First Manassas, the building served as a triage facility for wounded Union soldiers. One of the few remaining examples of neo-classical Greek revival architecture in historic Alexandria, the Athenaeum is on both the Virginia Trust and National Register of Historic Places. Today it is an art gallery and home of the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association. OpenĀ  Thurs.-Sun. noon-4 p.m. Closed major holidays.