Alexandria Summer Essentials
Alexandria is a quintessential summer destination. Close to Washington, D.C. but a world away with its own brand of summer style and substance. We've assembled our 14 Summer Essentials for your trip to Alexandria!
Be sure to check out our fun summer events or for a full list of Alexandria's events click here.
1. Join the summer ritual of strolling the historic seaport to hear weekend street performers.
2. Enjoy fireworks over the river for the 264th Alexandria Birthday Celebration on July 13, 2013.
3. Take a DC monuments cruise for gorgeous views of the Potomac River.
4. Bike the scenic Mount Vernon Trail from Alexandria to George Washington's estate.
5. Dine alfresco and bask in the glow of late summer evenings on King Street.
Insider Tip: Enjoy oysters at Hank's, crab cakes at the Wharf, and the freshest catch at the Fish Market.
6. Shop Old Town boutiques for a pop of summer color.
Insider Tip: Get the latest fashion scoop from the Old Town Boutique District and wearable art from members of Handcrafted Alexandria.
7. Take in a summer concert at the legendary Birchmere.
8. Ride the crooked elevator to the top of Alexandria's iconic landmark, the George Washington Masonic Memorial, for 360 degree views.
9. Bring your dog on vacation with an array of dog-friendly hotels plus Canine Cruises, Yappy Hours, and specialty doggie treats found around town.
10. Chill out with ice cream from Pop's and the Creamery in Old Town and frozen custard from Dairy Godmother in Del Ray.
11. Make Thursday your new Friday with art receptions and music at 2nd Thursday Old Town featuring the Torpedo Factory Art Center.
12. Cool off with signature Alexandria drinks, like a craft beer by Port City Brewing Co., Todd Thrasher's Tiki cocktail at the Majestic, or an icy cran-lemonade from Bittersweet.
13. Explore the city on a food tour for local flavor through stories, sights, and savory bites.
14. Take a trip back in time and visit George Washington's hometown favorites, Gadsby's Tavern and the Apothecary Museum.
Summer Events in Alexandria