Free (or Almost Free) Things to Do in Alexandria
Alexandria offers its visitors numerous activities at little to no cost: Embark on a self-guided tour using your cell phone or the King Street Trolley or discover Alexandria's history at the Alexandria Visitors Center at Ramsay House. Even some of our top museums offer free admission: Stroll through the city's premiere art hub the Torpedo Factory Art Center or marvel at the ingenuity of mankind in the National Inventors Hall of Fame and Museum (currently undergoing rennovation and will reopen in May 2014). Whatever your price range, whatever your preference, Alexandria has you covered.
1. Stroll down King Street: Old Town Alexandria's main drag, lined with red brick and dotted with independently owned restaurants and boutiques, is the perfect locale for strolling, as you window shop and feel the humming excitement fueling our city.
2. Torpedo Factory Art Center: Peruse the halls of this former munitions factory and peek in at any number of the 82 artist studios, six galleries and Alexandria Archaeology Museum.
3. Bike Ride along the Mount Vernon Bike Trail: Bring a bike and a picnic basket, and coast along the scenic Potomac waterfront for an afternoon outdoors.
4. Second Thursdays: Every second Thursday of the month, the Torpedo Factory Art Center hosts "Second Thursdays," an art-centered event, filled with live music and interactive art demonstrations.
5. Farmers Markets: Each Saturday and Sunday of the month, Alexandria communities take to the outdoors and peruse stalls of high quality produce and goods made and grown locally.
6. National Inventors Hall of Fame and Museum at the US Patent and Trademark Office: Discover how innovation and ingenuity are born, through exhibits and displays highlighting the beginnings of your favorite everyday tools.
7. Historic Seaport: Amble alongside the docks just at the base of King Street and treat your ears and eyes to colorful street performers and vendors along the Potomac waterfront or pause at a bench and watch the sunset atop idle boats.
8. The Athenaeum: Home to the Northern Virginia Fine Art Association, the Athenaeum is Alexandria's prime fine art gallery, filled with high quality work by regional artists.
9. Free King Street Trolley: Ride in style and explore King Street via the city's most convenient mode of transportation, stopping every two blocks from the King St-Old Town Metrorail station to the waterfront.
10. Self-Guided Walking Tour: Move at your own pace and embark on a self-guided walking tour, exploring George Washington's old haunts, Alexandria architecture, King Street, African American sites and everything in between.