Careers at Visit Alexandria
Destination Sales Manager
Join Our Team
Visit Alexandria promotes extraordinary Alexandria, Virginia as a premier destination for leisure tourism and groups. Visit Alexandria is a leading edge DMO with a results-driven culture that encourages creativity, idea testing, agility and passion.
Our office is located in Old Town Alexandria, just minutes from Washington, D.C. Easily accessible by Metro, Alexandria’s historic streets, chic shopping, chef-driven restaurants and dynamic waterfront make it an extraordinary place to work. Recent accolades include: 2017 Best Cities for Millennials in America (Alexandria #4)–Niche (2017) ; 2017's Most Diverse Cities in America (Alexandria #21)—WalletHub ; North America's Coolest Downtowns (Old Town Alexandria #5)—Expedia Viewfinder (2017); America’s Most Attractive Cities (Alexandria #11)—Travel + Leisure (2017).
Visit Alexandria seeks a creative and energetic Destination Sales Manager with the team’s passion, exceptional work ethic and collaborative mentality to sell and market Alexandria to groups. The ideal candidate will be a marketing-oriented sales manage who looks beyond traditional sales strategies to engage customers and secure new business in an ever evolving marketplace. If you are excited to join our team and have proven success in hospitality or tourism sales, please read further.
Your Responsibility Highlights (include the following, but are not limited to)
- Develop and follow an effective direct sales plan to optimize existing market segment accounts and cultivate new business to include account management, prospecting, site inspections, tradeshows, sales calls, industry networking (committee participation), fam trips and signature events
• Incorporate targeted sales and marketing communications and special promotions with emphasis on
social media sales strategies to achieve individual and departmental goals
• Develop strong product knowledge providing destination expertise to customers and partners;
strengthen professional relationships with Visit Alexandria members and tourism partners to increase
business, leverage budgets and gain exposure
- Current market segment opportunities include Government, SMERF and the state of Virginia, however are subject to change based on candidates expertise
• Achieve weekly/monthly/annual performance and production goals sales goals to include prospecting,
sales calls, lead generation and definite bookings; responsible for submission of regular sales &
productivity reports and quarterly action plans
• Be extraordinary in all activities and willing to go beyond to stand out among the competition
• Assist V.P. Sales with identifying trends in assigned and other market(s) and generating supporting website and social media content; contribute on-going and innovative market strategies
• Support V.P. Sales with content development and strategy for meetings website, blog, social
media and advertising placements
Desired Skills & Experience
• B.S. degree with a minimum of two years hospitality or tourism sales experience
• Proven ability to achieve/exceed sales goals
• Full understanding of sales and marketing strategies
• Intuitive, creative and innovative in a fast pace environment
• Excellent account and project management skills
• Refined writing and verbal presentation skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, CRM software (preferred) and social media platforms (LinkedIn) as sales tools
• Content planning for web, blog and social media experience a plus
• Passion for Alexandria and tourism
• Active participation in planner organizations such as MPI, PCMA, SGMP, etc. a plus
Visit Alexandria has a small and supportive team offering the candidate a sense of ownership and influence from day one. Candidates will find a friendly office culture which is high energy, creative and positive and encourages a well-balanced work-life. The office is Metro accessible (Braddock Road) and bike friendly.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience; annual bonus potential; excellent health, dental, and vision benefits; 401(k) match; generous vacation policy and paid wellness hours; paid transit or parking; and newly renovated fitness center.
If you are someone who is positive, intuitive and seeking a position where you can make a difference, please forward resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Destination Sales Manager in the subject line.