Careers at Visit Alexandria
Visit Alexandria currently has the following positions available:
- Meetings Travel Blog Management & Writing (independent contractor)
REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
Project Title: Meetings Travel Blog Writing and Management
Reports To: Communications Manager while also working closely on the development of each blog with Visit Alexandria’s Senior VP of Sales
Project Summary: Visit Alexandria seeks a meetings industry writer to develop content for Visit Alexandria’s meetings travel blog, Meet ALX, which launched in January of 2018. This ongoing monthly project requires research, writing and uploading to WordPress. The successful vendor will produce a minimum of one blog post between 500 to 800 words with 3 to 5 images selected from Visit Alexandria’s image library every month for the duration of the contract. The goal is to highlight stories that will be of interest to meeting planners nationwide while simultaneously highlighting Alexandria as an ideal destination for small- to mid-size meetings.
Visit Alexandria promotes Alexandria, Virginia as a premier destination for tourism and meetings. Named the #1 Best Value U.S. Travel Destination 2018 by Money magazine, a Top 5 Best Small City in the U.S. 2018 by the Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards and one of the South’s Prettiest Cities 2018 by Southern Living, Alexandria hums with a cosmopolitan feel and a walkable lifestyle. A nationally designated historic district founded in 1749, Old Town Alexandria is home to more than 200 independent restaurants and boutiques alongside intimate historic museums and new happenings at the waterfront. At the heart of it all is bustling King Street, a walkable mile recognized as one of the “Great Streets” of America. New restaurants tucked in to 18th- and 19th-century architecture still intact from the city’s days as George Washington’s hometown ignite historic and off-the-beaten-path neighborhoods as the waterfront district evolves with new energy.
Visit Alexandria currently generates $45 million in meeting sales leads annually, which leads to $10 million of local economic impact. Approximately 58,000 people use our meetings website, www.MeetAlexandriaVA.com each year. The goals of Meet ALX are to: 1) increase meetings leads; 2) increase conversions; 3) increase web traffic; and 4) increase Visit Alexandria’s credibility with meetings professionals so that we are seen as industry experts.
Project Scope of Work:
- Work with Visit Alexandria’s Communications Manager and Senior VP of Sales to create one relevant blog per month; topics to be determined from Visit Alexandria’s proposed content calendar and suggested input from contractor based on current industry trends and hot issues; each post to involve research, pairing Alexandria assets with the month’s topic, writing, image collection (from external sources as well as Visit Alexandria’s library) and posting a draft of the blog to WordPress.
- Pending monthly content topics, additional blog posts may be required promoting Alexandria’s top destination attributes for meeting planners.
- Stay on top of trends in the meetings industry.
Experience and Client References:
- The ideal candidate is a writer who works or has worked in the meetings industry
- Please provide resume
- Provide 3 writing samples that most closely resemble this assignment
- Please provide 3 client references
- Describe your personal familiarity with Alexandria (1 paragraph)
- Describe any prior experience with meeting planning or groups (1 paragraph)
Writing Sample Project:
If selected as a finalist, you will be asked to use a provided meetings webinar and transform the content into a blog post of 500 to 800 words. Please use your creativity to structure the blog, including a suggested headline and subheads, in order to reach our target audience of meeting planners.
Please provide the per-post cost to deliver this project. Visit Alexandria pays vendors promptly within 30 days of receipt of invoice.
To Respond to this RFP:
Please forward a proposal answering the questions above no later than December 31, 2018 to Lorraine Lloyd at Llloyd@visitalexva.com with “Meetings Blog RFP” in the subject line. Please mention where you saw this posting. No phone calls please.