Waterfront Park comes alive with a series of original site-specific performances in conversation with the sound-responsive, interactive installation Mirror Mirror. This summer and fall, you’ll find music and movement from the following performers:
David Schulman, who performs on amplified violin with live effects, has composed an original score to interact with Mirror Mirror. He will perform with trumpeter Tillery, operatic vocalist and composer Bonnie Lander and experimental alto saxophonist Sarah Marie Hughes.
Please note: The dates below reflect the updated schedule of performances. There will be no performances July 20 or 21 due to weather conditions.
- Sunday, July 28 at 8 p.m.: Tillery
- Friday, August 9 at 9 p.m.: Tillery
- Saturday, August 10 at 9 p.m.: Sarah Marie Hughes
- Rain date: Sunday, August 11 at 9 p.m.
- Thursday, August 15 at 9 p.m.: Bonnie Lander
- Saturday, October 5 at 8 p.m.: Sarah Marie Hughes
- Sunday, October 6 at 8 p.m.: Bonnie Lander
- Rain date: Saturday, October 19 at 8 p.m.
Orange Grove Dance is exploring movement and sound within and around Mirror Mirror. From visceral virtuosic movements, to stomping, clapping, singing and custom-built music scores, artistic Directors Colette Krogol and Matt Reeves have developed movements that explore both the installation’s and audience’s relationship to land and river to tap into deep relationships that communities have with the spaces they inhabit.
- Friday, September 6 at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, September 7 at 6 and 8 p.m.
- Friday, September 13 at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, September 14 at 6 and 8 p.m.
View the full schedule of performances commissioned by the City of Alexandria’s Office of the Arts.
All performances are free and feature lawn seating. Lawn chairs and blankets are encouraged. Please leave pets at home.
See and post photos images and videos via #mirrormirrorALX.