First Night Alexandria
The Largest Family-Friendly Alexandria New Year’s Eve Party in the D.C. Region
First Night Alexandria, the largest family-friendly and alcohol-free New Year’s Eve party in the Washington, D.C. region, returns to Old Town December 31, 2017 with family-friendly activities beginning at 2 p.m. and a culminating spectacular fireworks display—the only one in the D.C. metro area—over the Potomac River at midnight. This annual New Year’s Eve bash takes over Old Town Alexandria with more than 150 performances at 22 indoor venues, with live music, dancing, children’s face painting and games. There is also a venue in Del Ray where families can enjoy an Old Fashioned Carnival.
Each year, revelers stroll Old Town Alexandria’s historic streets among art galleries, historic sites, churches and even retail shops that have been transformed into cozy performance venues. Intimate concerts at Principle Gallery and Imagine Artwear will entertain guests while the Torpedo Factory Art Center and the George Washington Masonic National Memorial rock with dancing to great bands. Old Town’s many restaurants and pubs welcome First Night fans, with a choice of eateries catering to families with children or couples looking for an upscale date night where they can toast the New Year.
- 150+ performances
- 22 indoor venues in Old Town and one in Del Ray
- Fun for kids starting at 2 p.m., including the 9th Annual Fun Hunt
- Entertainment from 7 p.m.-midnight
- Rhythm and blues, traditional Irish music, old school funk, acoustic folk, swing and more
- Dancing in the street starting at the east end of King Street from 10 p.m. until the countdown to the fireworks finale at midnight
- Spectacular fireworks display over the Potomac at midnight
Tickets are $20 before December 10; $30 after December 11; and free for children 12 and under and active military. Learn more, plan what performances you’d like and purchase tickets at firstnightalexandria.org or the Alexandria Visitor Center at 221 King Street.