The Lyceum was built in 1839 in the Greek Revival style. The Alexandria Library Company, an organization devoted to the intellectual improvement of the citizens of Alexandria, occupied the building until the Civil War. After the war the building was sold as a private residence. It was saved from demolition in 1969 and in 1974, after extensive restoration, opened as the nation's first Bicentennial Center. It now serves as the history museum for the City of Alexandria. A large room is available for meetings, lectures, concerts, weddings and receptions and can accommodate groups of up to 175. A small kitchen is available adjacent to the function room.
Maximum Capacity: Reception 140; Seated 100