The Alexandria Lyceum was founded a year earlier, in 1838, by a group of well-educated local men with an interest in improving public educational and cultural opportunities throughout the community. In 1839, the group joined with the Alexandria Library to construct a new home for both organizations, the building known today simply as The Lyceum. This historic site has also served as a Civil War hospital ward, a private residence, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Nation’s first Bicentennial Visitor’s Center. Today, as the city’s history museum, the site offers exhibitions, public programs, a museum store, and facility rentals.
Functions can be held at The Lyceum either during the museum's open hours or after it has closed for the evening. Exhibition galleries can be opened for viewing after hours and similar arrangements can be made with The Lyceum Museum Shop.
The room is elegantly appointed with wall-to-wall carpeting, rose-colored draperies and coordinating upholstered armchairs. Other features include:
- Recessed, controlled lighting
- Large movie screen and separate projection booth
- Platform stage and concert grand piano
- Small adjoining kitchen with refrigerators, sinks and work space for caterers
- Special rate discounts
- Accommodates groups up 140 reception; 100 seated