Situated on property once owned by our first president, Cedar Knoll offers American and French cuisine with waterfront views. History, romance and magic culminate at this unforgettable gathering point on the Potomac River. Enjoy a variety of fresh seafood, from fried rock shrimp and lobster fondue to scallop and shrimp risotto and jumbo lump crab cakes, plus a selection of oysters and other seasonal dishes.
Brunch is served on Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
History of Cedar Knoll:
In 1760, the land on which Cedar Knoll now stands was purchased by George Washington and became River Farm, the northernmost of the five farms that made up Washington's 18th century estate. During his lifetime, Washington leased out River Farm to his personal secretary and nephew-in-law, Tobias Lear. The land was further divided by subsequent generations and the hearth of what is now Cedar Knoll was constructed in the early 1800s as a farm house on a plantation named Markland on the Potomac. The building was later remodeled and opened to the public as the Mount Vernon View Antique Shop.
Since 1941, the building operated as an inn and restaurant. After a brief hiatus, Cedar Knoll re-opened in the fall of 2015 as one of the most exciting new restaurants in the Washington metro area.