Drone & Aerial Filming
The City of Alexandria is situated within Washington, DC’s Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) based on the proximity to Reagan National Airport. Per the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations, “flying an unmanned aircraft within the 15-mile radius inner ring is prohibited without specific FAA authorization.”
Obtaining a waiver from the FAA for drone filming in the City of Alexandria is done on a case-by-case basis and is a lengthy process that requires at least one month for review and approvals at the local and federal levels.
Drone and helicopter/plane pilots pursuing a waiver from TSA and FAA that require a letter of support from the City of Alexandria’s City Manager should submit details using the Aerial Film & Photography Request Form below and contact the Film Office Manager at Film@VisitAlexVA.com for more assistance.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure your location is in the City of Alexandria and not the area of Alexandria that is under the jurisdiction of Fairfax County. Refer to our Locations & Guidelines for more information.
FAA Drone Registration
Federal Aviation Administration
DC Flight Restricted Zone
Transportation Security Administration
City of Alexandria UAS & Aerial Photography/Film Request Form
The City of Alexandria is located within the D.C. Metropolitan Flight Restricted Zone (DC FRZ) and all flights within a 15-mile radius of Ronald Reagan National Airport are prohibited without FAA authorization.
- Contact the City of Alexandria Film Office
- Fill out the City of Alexandria’s Aerial Film & Photography Request Form
- Provide supplemental project details to Film@VisitAlexVA.com including, but not limited to:
- A map of your flight area that identifies your exact flight path, launch and landing locations.
- Client letter demonstrating that your company has been hired for UAS/aerial photography or filming in the City of Alexandria
- Pay the $30 request form fee online here