One of the longest running seasonal summer shopping events returns to the D.C. region’s Shop Small destination for independent boutiques, Alexandria, Virginia, with the annual Alexandria Summer Sidewalk Sale happening Saturday and Sunday, August 14 and 15, 2021, throughout Old Town and Del Ray. The event features record participation with nearly 70 Alexandria boutiques stepping out of their storefronts and offering deeply discounted summer merchandise plus activations on King Street and in Del Ray, social media giveaways, free parking at four garages in Old Town and more.
Alexandria Sidewalk Sale is led by Visit Alexandria in partnership with the City of Alexandria, Old Town Boutique District, Old Town Business Association, Old Town North and Del Ray Business Association.
The City of Alexandria will provide free parking at four garages in Old Town (locations listed below) on both Saturday and Sunday. Street parking in Old Town is free on Sundays and street parking is always free in Del Ray.
- Courthouse Square Parking Garage – 111 S. Pitt Street
- Market Square Parking Garage– 108 N. Fairfax Street
- USP Parking Garage - 220 N. Union Street
- Thompson’s Alley Parking Garage - 10 Thompsons Alley
Map & Pedestrian-Only Hub
Plan your stroll with the official 2021 Alexandria Sidewalk Sale Map, or you can browse participating boutiques below.
New this year, the 700-1100 blocks of King Street will be closed to cars, allowing pedestrian-only access to the event, and an information tent at the corner of King and Fayette streets will offer maps, bottled water and more.
Activations Along the King Street Mile
- Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.: Pop-up jazz music from the Yellow Door Concert Series Youth Ensemble at the 1000 Block of King Street.
- Sunday from 12 to 3 p.m.: Listen to tunes blending influences of rock, jazz, folk and soul from local singer-songwriter Dan Barry.
- Head down to the unit block of King Street at the waterfront to check out a pop-up from The Art League featuring handmade ceramic bowls and small prints for sale. Ice cream bowl purchases include a certificate for a free ice cream from Kilwins at 212 King Street.
Peach-Themed Happenings in Del Ray
This year, embrace Del Ray’s peach theme with participating stores adorned in peach décor, peach-themed specials at select nearby restaurants and more happenings below:
- Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Del Ray Vintage & Flea Market at the corner of Bellefonte & Mt. Vernon Avenues, plus the Salvation Army Carnival in the parking lot behind the headquarters at 1804 Mt. Vernon Ave.
- Saturday starting at 10:30 a.m.: The Rainbow Rock Band will entertain with a music performance at Mt. Vernon Rec Center (2701 Commonwealth Avenue).
- Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Pop-up market in Pat Miller Neighborhood Square (Oxford and Mt. Vernon Avenues) featuring home-based businesses and artisans.
Social Media Giveaways
Take part in social media giveaways from the Old Town Business Association, the Old Town Boutique District and Visit Alexandria.
- Throughout the week of Alexandria Summer Sidewalk Sale, the Old Town Business Association will give out eight $30 gift certificates to local restaurants encouraging shoppers to “Lunch and Shop” throughout the weekend. Follow Old Town Business Association on Instagram at @oldtownbusiness and Facebook @oldtownbiz for giveaway details.
- Tag a fellow shopper daily August 9 through 12 for a chance to win in the Old Town Boutique District’s “Tag a Friend” contest. On Instagram, @otboutiques will give away a $50 OTBD gift card each to two lucky winners per day.
- Follow Visit Alexandria on Instagram at @VisitAlexVA for a giveaway on Tuesday, August 10. One random winner will be selected win a $250 gift certificate to a participating Sidewalk Sale boutique.
Based on the latest CDC health guidance, it is recommended that everyone wear a mask in public indoor spaces in Alexandria, regardless of vaccination status.